Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Oversee the work of SIU Field Investigations Unit. Must accurately interpret policies and procedures, model them and hold others accountable to consistently perform.
- Works in collaboration with the SIU Team Leaders to provide direction to triage, and SIU Inside and Field Investigation team to support fraud handling.
- Communicate and drive execution of key performance indices.
- Attract, retain, mentor, and develop top talent.
- Provide technical guidance and consultation on questionable and fraudulent claims
- Support the Manager - SIU in industry and fraud claims trending. Act when needed in the absence of the Manager – SIU.
- Case manage and track the handling capacity and workload of the SIU Field Investigations Unit. Ensure appropriate prioritization and assignment of cases are based on the skill and resources of the team.
- Provide fraud technical guidance and consultation to others in the investigation of complex and non-complex claims in the claims operation.
- Assist with the management of expenses that impact the annual operating budget for the National SIU team.
- Analyze fraud industry and our company’s trends. Provide recommend actions to combat fraud.
- Foster cooperation among individuals and departments to accomplish goals.
- Develop and implement plans for prospective and retrospective loss avoidance, detection, investigation, and recovery.
- Monitor and analyze referral trends from the fraud analytics tool.
- Coordinate SIU activities with other departments, providers, members, vendors, regulatory and law enforcement agencies.
- Conduct internal and external audits to monitor regulatory compliance, develop a plan to address gaps, and critically evaluate the effect of the plan on conclusion.
- Assist in recruitment, onboarding and develop succession plans
- Design, coordinate and facilitate training materials nationally to raise SIU related awareness for our staff, within other departments of the company and Broker partners.
- Coordinate litigation support for SIU matters referred to Legal.
Your Skills and Experience
- For this role, candidates must have a university degree or College diploma from an accredited university or community college.
- Candidates that have completed their CIP designation or have completed at least 8 CIP courses with an active commitment to complete your CIP designation will be preferred. Other professional designations are an asset.
- Experience working with experts in areas such as accident reconstruction, surveillance and related investigation skills is an asset.
- Minimum of 8 -10 years of Auto and Property claim or investigative experience.
- Personal and Commercial General Liability policies, regulations, and the Insurance Act, and its application against combatting fraud.
- 3 years of SIU or supervisory/managerial experience.
- Previous leadership experience is preferred including experience with performance management.
- Demonstrated experience performing well with conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment and remain calm under pressure.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer software including Microsoft Office suite, PowerPoint, and other Claims tracking tools.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).