What can you expect in this role?
This role is part of our Integrated Marketing & Communication (IMC) team is and serves as an embedded partner within our Technology Solutions (TS) division. As part of Definity, TS is accountable for making insurance better across our brands and lines of business. From security and infrastructure to engagement platforms and future-focused innovation, there is momentum and energy in our pursuits.
Reporting to the AVP, IMC with dotted line accountability to the AVP, Technology Planning & Operations, this role leads communication planning for multiple TS strategic and operational initiatives with the extended executional support of the IMC team.
This role will chair an IMC working group IMC for TS to support TS priorities.
Independently and with the support of senior leadership, the successful candidate will participate in strategic meetings with senior internal and external leaders and consultants.
- Design and deliver a comprehensive internal and external communication strategy for TS to meet business goals and align to Definity’s corporate narrative
- In collaboration with IMC, align the thought leadership strategy for the Senior Vice-President & Chief Information Officer (CIO) with the corporate narrative via external communication opportunities such as speaking engagements and presentations
- Support the CIO in the development of innovative and inspiring TS employee communications
- Play a key role in guiding and delivering effective and engaging internal communication and change management communication strategies
- Collaborate on governance and guidance for this role to ensure the needs of TS and expectations of IMC are well managed
- Ensure key strategic messages and plans are developed to convey technology business priorities to a wide range of stakeholders
- Participate in TS project leadership meetings to proactively solicit and capture internal communication opportunities, key messaging, and take responsibility for managing, developing, and executing strategic communications for TS
- Combine subject matter understanding, communication expertise, and organizational knowledge to bring strategic, professional communication counsel to senior / functional leadership and departmental teams
- Chair the IMC for TS team working group to contribute to the development of comprehensive integrated marketing and communication strategies and plans that support the execution of TS program goals and objectives. Work closely with internal IMC team members to deliver on these plans
- Work on cross functional teams. Initiate and maintain strong collaborative working relations with key internal and external stakeholders
- Work closely with the TS Senior Leadership Team team on executive presentations and support the development of all TS presentation material including quarterly business review, townhall, and all-hands presentations, announcements, and leadership appointments; coordinate of presentations internally to Definity; and advise on business requirements for external communications efforts
- Work closely with Change Management and program leaders to plan and produce program material to support TS transformation efforts including the development and delivery of program communication
- Support project teams and TS teams with communication tool kits and templates to support project and program communication efforts
- Track internal progress and measure communication effectiveness to demonstrate value, focused on the employee (i.e., “internal customer”) experience
- Actively contribute TS updates and priorities to enterprise corporate narrative and brand marketing efforts
- Champion a consistent voice
- Play a role in employee engagement efforts including the development and execution of employee engagement communications (e.g., TS Weekly/ bi-weekly newsletter)
- Identify and leverage company-approved external resources as needed to deliver on program goals and priorities
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in communication, marketing, journalism, or other related discipline
- Experience and confidence working with and advising leaders at executive and management levels on communication strategy
- Skilled storyteller with 7-10 years of progressive communications work experience, with proven ability to develop creative, compelling, and engaging narrative
- Experience in building effective presentation storyboards and content, and working with designers to visualize key data points or complex concepts into succinct and meaningful material
- Strategic capability to develop and implement innovative and relevant communications dealing with complex technology issues, for technical and non- technical audiences
- Comfortable leveraging technology as a communication platform and being able to work creatively and strategically to walk the talk
- Proactive and self-motivated. Works independently, and manages effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive networking capability and proven ability to build fruitful and effective work relationships; with the ability to influence others across the organization
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills. Ideally with previous experience in the insurance, financial services, or technology sector
- Resilience and ability to enjoy working, coordinating, and implementing multiple projects and tasks
- Hands-on / admin experience with using content management systems / collaboration tools (e.g., SharePoint, Yammer, MS Teams)
- Experienced in working with corporate events management professionals
- Bilingualism is a strong asset. Strong command of Canada’s official languages, expressed in verbal and written communication skills
** This position is not a people leadership role, it is an individual contributor role **
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).