Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
- Underwriting efficiency and effectiveness
- Assesses risks and accepts, declines, or amends new business submissions, policy endorsements, renewals, etc.
- Understands and aligns decision making to Economical's Line of Business and segmentation strategies
- With some guidance, develops solutions to achieve profitable growth targets
- Leverages tools, resources and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective Underwriting decisions
- Applies Underwriting judgment and relies on the guidance of senior staff and his/her Team Leader to process moderately complex risks effectively in accordance with Economical's corporate policies, Underwriting guidelines, standard operating procedures, and Line of Business and segmentation strategies
- Knows how and when to leverage Underwriting Technicians and when to refer or escalate specific transactions/issues to more senior Underwriting stakeholders, as required
- Reviews Claims activity and takes appropriate action within his/her Underwriting authority level, as required
- Customer Experience
- Contacts Brokers, where required, to request additional information, communicate risk acceptances and terms, declines as well as quote follow ups (where applicable) to achieve target hit ratios - Provides exceptional service to Brokers for all interactions, and seeks to add value in every Broker interaction
- Acts as a point of contact for inquiries related to Commercial Property Insurance
- Routes/escalates Broker inquiries to alternative points of contact within Economical to enable effective and prompt resolution of inquiries, where appropriate
- System Expertise
- Effectively manages multiple transactions within the policy case management system, leveraging system functionalities to appropriately route and document processing of transactions
- Demonstrates deep understanding of the policy administration systems and quoting systems and how functionalities can be used to best respond to Broker inquiries and needs, and completes all the required documentation in the system
- Applies knowledge of document management to access most up-to-date materials, guides and/or tools
What do you bring to the role?
- Insurance knowledge with awareness on risk and at least two years of experience in Commercial Lines underwriting
- Excellent communication and people skills strong motivational skills and problem-solving skills. Attentive listener with the ability to anticipate and understand the customer's needs. Successfully maneuvers difficult conversations with ease while exercising empathy, patience, professionalism and the use of positive language.
- A sound working knowledge of Guidewire.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).