Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
Are you a natural coach and mentor? Do you have Personal Insurance underwriting experience? Do you enjoy being in a contact center environment? Then, we’ve got the role for you!
The Team Leader, Broker Assist Centre contributes to the profitable growth of Economical business by executing on our business strategy. They will support implementation and ensure adherence to standardized operational processes and services that meet or exceed Brokers' needs and expectations.
Reporting to the Manager, Broker Assist Centre, the incumbent will provide oversight to a team of Broker Inquiry Analysts and/or Processing Administrators, focusing on continuous improvement within their team, while effectively managing performance, Service Level Agreements, Quality monitoring, Productivity levels and results against Key Performance Indicators.
The incumbent will act as a point of escalation for Broker and Customer inquiries and concerns and will be accountable for ensuring brokers receive exceptional service when interacting with Economical.
Please Note: This role will support our BAC hours of operation which are: 7:30 am to 6:30 pm. Your core hours will fall within this range.
People Management and Development:
- Develops, coaches/mentors and manages the performance of Direct Reports, including identification of areas of strength and where development plans are needed to ensure achievement of business, functional and individual goals as well as performance against defined service level agreements.
- You’ll answers questions and provide instruction in real-time to enable staff to apply processes, technology and underwriting guidelines in the context of the work being performed (i.e. broker calls or transaction processing)
- Understands Economical’s vision, values and culture and works with his/her manager, peers and team to live these every day
- Works with the leadership team across the BAC to identify reward and recognition opportunities that align with Economical and Broker Assist Center programs
- Participates in strategic workforce management for his/her function including resource planning, retention management, succession management as well as informing and appropriately leveraging Economical’ s recruiting strategy
- Stays abreast of capability and capacity gaps in his/her team and works with his/her Manager and peers to define a strategy to close the gaps (e.g., recruitment targets, training/development plans, staff augmentation, etc.)
- Manages the recruitment process for Team, including activities related to the provision of a realistic job preview
- Leverages reporting functionality to monitor team performance and overall achievement of Service Level Agreements. Ensure barriers to success are readily identified and solutioned, in coordination with his/her Manager
- Ensures quality of service provided meets business objectives, by acting on feedback provided through quality reviews.
- Ensures process and knowledge gaps are identified to peers and leader and works with relevant stakeholders to plan and execute training plans.
Continuous Improvement and Change Management
- Identifies and implements continuous process improvements to drive increased efficiency and/or customer satisfaction within your business unit.
- Actively champions strategic change initiatives within the BAC operations to build understanding and buy-in within the Personal Insurance Underwriting function
- University degree in any discipline, college diploma in a relevant discipline
- 3+ years of Underwriting experience, preferably in personal lines
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with prior people leadership experience
- CIP designation or willingness to complete this designation
- Team-building skills: Demonstrate an ability to lead and manage a team in a busy and changing environment while fostering positive performance and engagement. Models solid leadership skills with the ability to coach, develop, motivate and retain staff.
- Motivational skills / Communication skills: Proactively communicates information in a clear and positive manner. Layering excellent decision-making skills with a natural aptitude for observation.
- High level of initiative, self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Superior time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrates a high degree of change management, negotiation, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience managing a team in a contact center, or shared service environment.
- A sound understanding of Economical’s Personal Insurance products and coverage offerings, and a working knowledge of Guidewire is an asset
- Preference will be given to Bilingual (English/French) candidates
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).