Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Reporting to the AVP, Product & Underwriting, the successful candidate will provide underwriting and product wording expertise for both automobile and property. This will include providing guidance, technical subject opinion and advice on business and underwriting related matters.
- He/she will assist in the overall development and support of Analysts/Senior Analysts on the Product team, including conducting quality and peer reviews.
- Support the creation and implementation of product changes initiated by the Product and Underwriting team; including preparing training material and support training of front-line staff
- Work closely with the Portfolio Management Team to address product profitability concerns and issues
- Participate in large loss committees and own any corporate underwriting actions to improve overall business outcomes
- Research, analyze and present recommendations to PI leadership on emerging product and underwriting trends/opportunities/threats
- Provide competitive product comparisons when required to support ongoing changes to products and underwriting criteria
- Working closely with the AVP of Regulatory Affairs to monitor the potential impacts of regulatory changes or developments and advice leadership of key trends that could impact product and pricing reform, including participating as an assigned Economical delegate in industry-level IBC/CISO/GAA/FA regulatory committees when required
- Provide subject matter expertise to IT / TS on business and underwriting related topics
- Collaborate to define business requirements for system enhancements and development to support the automated underwriting function
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree
- Industry-related certification is an asset (CIP/FCIP/CRM or equivalent)
- 7-10 years of related industry experience; prior leadership experience preferred
- In-depth underwriting knowledge in one or more lines of business including wordings, underwriting procedures and policy terms and conditions
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solution
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills (written/oral) required with the ability to foster positive relationship across teams
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).