Personal Insurance at Definity is a multi-channel (broker and direct) multi-brand (Economical, Sonnet, Petline and Family) business unit focus on delivering an excellent customer experience for our individual, property, casualty, and pet insurance policyholders. Our success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us the most, when they need us the most.
As a senior member of our Pricing leadership team, the AVP, Pricing will need to be strategic, innovative, collaborative, offer expertise and lead change within the organization. Reporting directly to the VP, Pricing the successful candidate will lead the overall development and ongoing management for our broad product offering. This includes development of new products, management of existing products, defining the product strategy and roadmap, understanding the competitive landscape, and overall ensuring we retain the strongest product offering in the Canadian P& C insurance markets.
What can you expect in this role?
- Responsible for providing strategic direction to a team of Pricing Managers and Directors to ensure the alignment of pricing changes with business objectives. Responsible for identifying emerging actuarial issues and develop, maintain and continuously improve personal lines pricing structure.
- Work collaboratively with senior leaders and provide leadership in diverse business matters.
- Regular communication of actuarial concepts effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensuring operational efficiency through automation and consistent application of tools, models, resources and processes across all regions and business units.
- Being accountable for compliance to provincial legislations by maintaining a thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements and a sound business relationship with regulators.
- Coordinating the development of new and continuous improvement of current actuarial policies, tools, processes, and reports used across multiple regions and business units to ensure effective monitoring and governance of our business.
- Working collaboratively with Personal Insurance Product and Underwriting, Portfolio Management, Operations, Regional, Business Platforms, Sonnet and Corporate Actuarial teams to identify operational and strategic priorities, while building business plans for the profitable underwriting of personal insurance products.
- Planning, recruiting, developing, and retaining skilled staff to achieve our corporate objectives.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in Actuarial Science or a relevant discipline
- Fellowship with the Casualty Actuarial Society and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Minimum 10 to 15 years of relevant Personal Lines Pricing experience and a minimum of 5 to 10 years leading teams.
- Sound business judgement
- Ability to get buy-in
- Relationship building skills
- Taking ownership of a challenge and come up with actionable strategies
- Solid project management skills, including communication, organization, and execution.
- Professional, friendly, and courteous in all interactions
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and remain calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).