Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll assess, accept, and decline new business submissions
- You’ll re-underwrite and negotiate renewals, and policy endorsements
- You’ll make underwriting and pricing decisions on individual risks, as well as within the context of a broker's broader portfolio of business
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll develop and maintain positive broker relations
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- You’ll accompany brokers on field underwriting of accounts, as required
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
- You’ll leverage tools, resources and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective underwriting decisions
- You’ll act as a resource on risks outside of the authority level for less experienced underwriters, and authorize risks within own established authority levels
- You’ll manage multiple transactions within information system /programs, leveraging system functionalities to appropriately route and document processing of transactions
- You’ll effectively coordinate with other underwriters to manage broker transactions that span across multiple product areas (e.g., fleet, IRCA, property, casualty) or risk types (small business vs. mid-market)
- You’ll manage adherence to relevant service level agreements, productivity levels, and profitability targets
What do you bring to the role?
- Post-secondary education and/or equivalent on the job experience in a pertinent domain
- 3+ years of experience in Commercial automobile/garage underwriting
- Completion or commitment to complete the CIP/FCIP designation
- Strong customer service orientation, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within and adapt to PC oriented environments, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
- A problem solver with strong negotiating skills and proven ability to create and maintain business relationships
- Commitment to high standards of performance and goals
- Ability to analyze situations and manage multiple and changing priorities
- Experience in underwriting property/casualty, professional liability, or agriculture insurance is an asset
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).