Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property, and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting to the Manager, Business Operations. Provides analytical support and oversight to improve the operational effectiveness across the Commercial Insurance (CI) portfolio. Provides forward thinking analysis, direction to promote and ensures alignment and execution across CI. The incumbent for this role is responsible for executing the business development strategy and business plan for the Commercial Insurance line of business. As a key member of the Commercial Insurance Operations team; this role is accountable for reporting and analyzing data to measure key performance & lead indicators and drive alignment across the business segments and shared functions. This role will work closely with the Manager to lead the day-to-day operations of the business and ensure the effective and efficient management of the business and financial profitability. The focus will be on growing the business, customer service, policy/procedure development and resource enhancement.
Business Intelligence / Underwriting Strategy / Financial Planning
- Create the framework and governance practices (in partnership with Finance, BI and IT) to develop and produce standardized analytics to meet business needs across regions.
- Define and govern critical Commercial Insurance measures (including KPIs, LIs, operational metrics, etc.) to evaluate the achievement of goals and performance.
- Generate data acquisition and analysis as requested by the Commercial Insurance Leadership team, to develop business insights.
- Lead the Commercial Insurance annual financial planning process by aggregating plans of each group to align with Finance processes.
- Monitor and report on budget in coordination with Finance.
- Kept informed of ongoing business case development, providing input when required (e.g., to manage projects and ad hoc budget requests)
- Defines and manages the provision of operational support services for the Leadership team to enable a consistent, repeatable approach to rolling out new processes and operating models.
- Process Management, leads mapping of processes (i.e. current and future state) for functional areas within the function and/or implements operational and continuous improvements to business processes to maximize efficiencies and leverage synergies
- Support change management, communication, and employee engagement across the function
Project Portfolio Oversight
- Supports the leadership team in managing the roadmap for transformation initiatives (e.g., org. design) – including work-stream interdependencies, risks / issues, reporting on progress against milestones
- Responsible for execution of a consistent and standardized initiative management approach (e.g., project prioritization, sequencing, identification of interdependencies, etc.) to enable integrated decision making across the division, using the project management approach set out by the ePMO; partners with the ePMO to access project managers as appropriate for large initiatives
- Maintains portfolio-wide view of risks, resources, skills, stakeholders and benefits, to enable effective leadership decision-making and support Leadership in reporting to the Executive team and Board
- Provide leadership team with information, reporting and support to ensure operational risks are appropriately managed and adherence to internal policies / procedures and applicable regulatory guidelines is effective
- Work with management / control function partners (e.g. Risk, Legal, Corporate Underwriting) to assess risks, develop and implement proactive strategies, tactics and programs to effectively manage regulatory and governance issues
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in a related field of study (e.g., Business, Commerce, Actuarial Studies, Math, Economics, etc.)
- 10+ years of Canadian P&C Insurance experience
- Diverse background in the insurance industry (Claims, Actuarial, Underwriting)
- Creative problems solving abilities
- Ability to use data to help form decisions from an execution perspective.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Effective Communication and Relationship Management skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).