Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Reporting to the Team Leader, Accident Benefits, you are accountable for handling highly complex, severe and contentious Accident Benefit claims in accordance with the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule.
- Handling files in good faith and in accordance with legislative requirements
- Handling LAT disputes with and without legal counsel
- Formulating file handling strategies and work plans
- Working with legal counsel
- Conducting settlement analysis
- Participating in Global Mediation and Private Arbitrations
- Providing coaching and support on file handling to Accident Benefit team members.
- Securing details of claims
- Assessing coverage eligibility
- Applying applicable Priority Rules chart to each claim file
- Reserving files appropriately after assessing claim
- Maintaining detailed file records on an electronic claims system
- Processing payments after confirming benefits, eligibility and reserves
- Coordinating the most effective course of action for claims
- Responding to claimant correspondence and Accident Benefit forms in accordance with the applicable legislation
- Reviewing and approving, when appropriate, treatment plans for claimant rehabilitation.
- Arranging insurer examinations to determine benefit eligibility
- Obtaining medical information necessary for insurer examinations
- Responding to assessment recommendations
- Handling complex AB claims including those involving catastrophic injuries
- Other duties as assigned
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers or co-workers.
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure.
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- 5 years of experience handling Accident Benefits claims
- Excellent working knowledge of the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule.
- Experience coaching others.
- University degree in any discipline or a college diploma in related field or the CIP designation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).