Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
- Contribute to the profitable growth of the business by identifying the underlying factors that contribute to the profitability of a risk while demonstrating the ability to constructively engage, influence and negotiate to exceed broker needs and expectations
- Assesses risks and accepts, declines, or amends new business submissions, policy endorsements, renewals, etc.
- Understands and aligns decision-making to Economical's Line of Business and segmentation strategies, leveraging tools, resources and reports to appropriately evaluate risks and make effective Underwriting decisions
- With some guidance, develops solutions to achieve growth targets and maintain a good mix of business
- Comfortable contacting brokers to request additional information, communicate risk acceptances and terms, explain declines, and proactively follow up on quotes
- Provides exceptional service to brokers in all interactions, seeking to add value at every touch point
- Effectively manages multiple transactions within the policy case management systems, leveraging system functionalities to appropriately route and document processing of transactions
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any discipline AND/OR a 2-year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college AND/OR a completed CIP designation
- 2 to 4 years of underwriting experience insurance, commercial background preferred
- Demonstrated track record of maintaining effective broker relationships
- Exceptional customer service skills, interacting in a way that demonstrates genuine care and respect for others
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; able to quickly interpret data, information, reports
- Team player who is adaptable to a changing environment
- High level of initiative, self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Able to communicate ideas and concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organization and time management skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).