Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Reporting to the AVP, Strategy Management, the Senior Manager, Strategy Management will play a leadership role in driving our corporate strategic portfolio planning and monitoring to support achievement of our strategic objectives. We are seeking a business professional with demonstrated experience and expertise in cross-functional collaboration, relationship-building, strategic planning and portfolio management.
What can you expect in this role?
- Manage the planning of the organization’s strategic project portfolio
- Lead and deliver all aspects of portfolio planning and prioritization, including facilitation and management of an executive steering committee for portfolio monitoring and control
- Engage with a cross-functional organizational team to apply creative solutioning, business case creation, critical thinking and process enablement
- Directly engage with leaders across the organization to ensure corporate strategy is appropriately translated to business plans and actions
- Be constantly challenged by a rapidly changing industry with a leading public company
- Opportunity to deepen industry knowledge and build expertise in the financial services sector with an organization that has been investing heavily into large-scale transformation
- Work at a company with a people-focused culture that values giving back to the community and wellness
- Drive the annual strategic portfolio planning and prioritization process in alignment with strategic goals. This includes establishing investments for the coming year as well as a multi-year investment view that reflects future corporate aspirations
- Align and integrate key management processes across the organization to ensure effective strategic portfolio planning and execution, working in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Partner closely with leaders across the organization to drive alignment, communicating and translating strategy into operational terms
- Find opportunities to continuously improve, adapt and optimize the strategic portfolio planning process
Portfolio Monitoring and Control:
- Monitor execution of strategic portfolio against strategic objectives
- Assess and manage the portfolio in consideration delivery and financial performance, change, and level of risk, and work with key stakeholders to take corrective actions
- Ensure appropriate governance and monitoring is in place for successful execution of strategic initiatives, including facilitation and management of an executive steering committee and other meetings under the ownership and responsibility of the Strategy Management function
- Align workforce planning to enable execution of strategic priorities through quarterly capacity monitoring and risk assessment
Who We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of strategic planning and/or corporate portfolio management experience
- Proven experience managing a cross-functional team on large-budget, cross-disciplinary and complex project portfolio
- High-level understanding of technology trends in Financial Services
- University degree or college diploma in a related discipline
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business acumen, with demonstrated aptitude for strategic, analytical, and critical thinking and business case development
- Ability to challenge project submissions
- High degree of proficiency in MS PowerPoint, Excel and Word and is required
- Demonstrated success in delivering and executing in a dynamic and constantly evolving environment
- Must be able to think and act strategically while executing the details
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, and sometimes conflicting priorities
- Sound judgement, with the ability to critically analyze situations, problem-solve, and deal with ambiguity; exhibits the ability to provide meaningful advice and recommendations
- Team player: demonstrated ability to collaborate with others to achieve results
- A high degree of personal ethics, integrity, and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard confidential information
- Strong relationship building skills with ability to build rapport with senior stakeholders in the company and be responsible for a high degree of stakeholder satisfaction with the portfolio planning process and deliverables
- Effectiveness in this role will require developing close partnerships across the organization to translate strategy into action
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).