Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Role Location: North York, Waterloo, Montreal (Hybrid)
- Reporting to the Director, Special Projects, you are responsible for the valuation and reporting of policy liabilities, reporting on claims trends, and supporting other departments like Pricing, Finance and Risk Management in their processes by providing input on claims experience and related financial trends.
What can you expect in this role?
- Effectively manage timelines for independent projects and analysis
- Communicate actuarial concepts and provide recommendations to internal and external stakeholders
- Recommend and create new approaches to analysis related to measuring, tracking and monitoring company and industry performance
- Identify opportunities for automating process across business areas
- Perform peer reviews on the technical and qualitative analysis of team members
- Support the Manager in coaching and counselling of junior team members
- The internal title of this position is "Technical Specialist"
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any one of the following programs: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science
- Completion of 6 exams (minimum) of the Casualty Actuarial Society; 6C is required
- 4-7 years of relevant full-time experience with solid knowledge of actuarial reserving and/or pricing
- Strong programming skills including Python, R, SAS and VBA
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Team player, adaptable to a changing and fast-paced environment
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).