Cloud & Infrastructure Engineering Lead, Big Data
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 5688
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Supporting Big Data system environments, specifically Cloudera where you will be responsible for the implementation and ongoing administration of Hadoop Infrastructure
- Aligning with the systems engineering team to propose and deploy new hardware and software environments to ensure our technology solution is stable and scalable to meet existing and future business needs
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders across business and technology teams
- Adding and removing users within the Hadoop Infrastucture
- Screening Hadoop cluster job performances and capacity planning
- Monitoring Hadoop cluster connectivity and security
- Support and maintain RStudio
- Participation in migrating Big Data platform to GCP
What do you bring to the role?
- Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
- 7+ years of Linux/Unix system administration experience and shell scripting
- Demonstrated experience in system performance management techniques and performance-related system level tuning
- GCP certification and relevant experience
- 2-3 years of experience working on Big Data Platforms, specifically Cloudera and proficient knowledge of the Hadoop Infrastructure
- Proficient in Python and Perl
- Knowledge of Active Directory, LDAP, Kerberos, group policy administration, role-based access security management
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).