Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
We are currently looking for a full-time translator for a 12-month contract period to join our Quebec translation services team (hybrid work – mostly remote work environment).
Reporting to the Manager, Translation Services and collaborating closely with the Marketing and Communication team, the translator will be accountable for translating and proofreading a wide variety of English content into French. The successful candidate will also be responsible for adapting content suitable for French Canadians, both linguistically and culturally, in alignment with brand and communication standards.
What can you expect in this role?
- Translate a variety of written material from one language to another, maintaining the content, context and style of the original material to the greatest extent possible. Translated material includes communication and marketing collateral such as website copy, blog posts, and intranet content; news releases; social media posts; and ad copy; as well as company documents, forms, reports, letters, policies, manuals, and procedures
- Act as a linguistic counsellor and cultural advisor while also performing quality control checks (proofreading) to avoid any errors in the final product to ensure it meets communication and brand standards
- Conduct terminological research on a given subject or in response to inquiries for the preparation of glossaries, terminology banks, technological files, lexicons and resource centres, and add to terminological databases
- Work closely with other translators, corporate communications specialists, marketing specialists and business subject matter experts across the company
What do you bring to this role?
- University degree in translation (English to French), with a specialization in translation
- Five to eight years’ experience in a translator role (experience in the insurance industry is an asset)
- Experience in consumer brands, digital media, and social media is required
- Experience in financial, legal and human resources translation is an asset
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office environment (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and various terminology banks (including LogiTerm)
- Ability to work with and protect confidential information
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment, meet strict deadlines, and effectively balance multiple competing priorities
- Customer-focused and thrive in a virtual team environment
- Exceptional translation, proofreading, written communication, and verbal communication skills in French and English
- Organized, resourceful, fast, and impeccable attention to detail
- Effective and calm when working under pressure
- Professional, friendly, and courteous — excellent at building relationships across diverse groups
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).