Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property, and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
Reporting to the Manager, Compensation, the Compensation Specialist is accountable for supporting the design, implementation, and administration of compensation programs to meet identified organizational objectives by executing programs, monitoring trends, conducting analysis, and providing insights to support decision making.
What can you expect in this role?
- Consults with, advises, and provides compensation expertise to HRBPs and their business leaders regarding compensation practices, processes, and programs.
- Assesses unique business issues and provides appropriate recommendations or solutions. Is recognized as a subject matter expert within the organization, both within and beyond own function.
- Supports the planning, communication, execution, and administration of annual base pay, and incentive pay programs.
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative analysis on compensation programs including analysis of market data, modelling, internal relativity, and competitive positioning
- Facilitates the job evaluation process by providing guidance and job evaluation expertise to the HRBPs/business leaders. Completes job evaluations using the Hay methodology.
- Reviews and recommends enhancements to procedures and processes (on-going). Acts as a knowledge resource for the variable compensation plans.
- Supports training, processes and communications related to compensation.
What do you bring to the role?
- Post-secondary education in HR or in a related discipline. Possess current Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) certification or is actively pursuing.
- Minimum three years of progressive compensation experience. Experience within Financial Services industry preferred but not required.
- Ability to influence with-well developed personal interaction skills; process-oriented with a change mindset; forward thinker; detail focused; organized; ability to work independently and execute.
- Assist in process improvement and implementation of new technology to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of compensation processes.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel (v-lookups, pivot tables / reports, advanced formulas, etc.).
- Proficient in using other MS Office programs (Word, PPT, etc.)
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).