Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Intelligence, the Senior Business Intelligence Professional will work with like-minded professionals and our business partners to generate strategic insights in smarter and innovative ways. They will be responsible for leading business intelligence projects – including design, analysis, development, and technical guidance for junior team members – along with successful Stakeholder management.
Apply for this position if:
- You are creative, curious, and analytical, and want to initiate innovation and positive change in everything you do at Definity by thinking big, challenging assumptions, and identifying threats and opportunities.
- You are a go-getter with an agile mindset when tackling obstacles.
- You are a people-person who works well in teams with diverse skillsets.
Role Location: Hybrid (Toronto, Waterloo, Vancouver, Montreal) – expectation of 20%-40% of time in office
What can you expect in this role?
- Partners with internal business teams to understand their business problems and to brainstorm meaningful & creative solutions
- Considers design options to address reporting, dashboarding, and data analysis needs in line with corporate objectives
- Develops and delivers complex reports & dashboards, providing clear data insights to business partners
- Coaches and trains more junior team members while executing on projects
- Collaborates with Data and Technology teams to improve the accuracy and integrity of data in source systems
- Advises the BI strategy roadmap by recommending modern techniques and tools, researched through industry leading practices
What do you bring to the role?
- University or College degree in Computer Science, Business, Statistics, or a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a business intelligence role, with P&C insurance industry experience preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience using big data databases, like Impala or Hive, with Cloud experience preferred
- Hands-on experience developing reports and dashboards through visualization platforms (e.g., Tableau) data exploration & analysis tool (e.g., SQL, R, SAS)
- Execution of agile-based project management methodologies and mindset
- “Can-do” attitude and analytical abilities to generate insights & present effective data-driven business recommendations to various stakeholder groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to connect with peers and business partners alike
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).