Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Role Location: Calgary or Edmonton (Hybrid)
What can you expect in this role?
- Reporting to the Counsel Lead, you will have carriage of claims litigation matters, and be responsible for providing legal opinions and devising recommended strategies, attending to preparing court documents, reviewing and analyzing evidence, interviewing witnesses, conducting out-of-court examinations, engaging and instructing medical, financial and technical experts, surveillance and other third parties supporting litigation, and resolving matters through negotiations, mediations or other ADR, or through court proceedings
- A team environment where you work with support staff and more jr. counsel to help achieve desired outcomes
- Contributing to development of overall Claims Litigation Unit strategies and policies
What do you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Alberta to practice law as a lawyer in Alberta
- 4-10 years of post-call experience working in civil litigation, ideally insurance litigation
- Proven skills working with and delegating to litigation support staff, including the ability to provide clear instructions and constructive feedback
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint
- A valid Alberta Motor Vehicle Operators License is a requirement. Some travel within the province is required.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills across a range of contexts
- Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills with a proven capability for effective presentation tools/methods
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard confidential information
- Assertiveness in practice, but reasonable and forthright
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).