Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Role Location: Hybrid
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting the legal team on a broad range of legal matters, including: corporate finance transactions (equity and debt), general corporate law matters, securities law matters, corporate governance, and compliance;
- Keeping abreast of and advising on corporate/securities law developments;
- Assisting with public company reporting requirements and meetings, including preparing and reviewing Definity’s annual information form, annual proxy circular, annual and quarterly disclosures (financial statements, MD&A and other public company filings), and other continuous disclosure documents;
- Working with Investor Relations to review corporate presentations and news releases;
- Engaging with insurance and securities regulators, as needed;
- Assisting with the administration of corporate policies/procedures and compliance program;
- Supporting on matters relating to the Board of Directors and Board Committees; and
- Managing external counsel in various jurisdictions; assisting with management of overall legal budget and finding efficiencies.
- Providing assistance for strategic initiatives as required
What you bring
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario (or other Canadian province) to practice law
- At least 3 years of post-call experience drafting and negotiating agreements. Exposure to corporate or securities law is preferable.
- Excellent communication, research and drafting skills, including the capacity to communicate with business partners in the way they want to be dealt with
- Outstanding judgment and ability to deal with complex issues and safeguard confidential information
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities
- Willingness to build strong business relationships
- Exemplary professionalism and integrity