Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Provide estimation of delivery work necessary to realize requirements through development lifecycle
- Elicit, analyze, specify and communicate functional and non-functional business, system and implementation requirements
- Write concise User Stories which include precise acceptance Criteria, accurate Specifications by Example and testable Functional Scenarios
- Facilitate meetings / working sessions with stakeholders to document, review and approve requirements
- Ensure the requirements are unambiguous and understandable by both business users and solution delivery teams
- Validate the correctness of delivered requirements in advance of the active business owner reviewing completed work
- Assist the testing team in defining testing scenarios (including data, acceptance criteria, rules, etc.) for each requirement that is going to be delivered during an iteration
- Collaborate with Product Owner and Delivery Team to define and deliver the project vision
- Collaborate with the Scrum Master/Project Manager and the team to develop and maintain the project Kanban/Product backlog, and develop the Iteration/Sprint Plan and Release plan
- Facilitate meetings (e.g., Stand-ups, Retrospectives, Acceptance Review, etc.), as required
- Supports the identification and resolution of Risks / Issues / Blockers in collaboration with the project team
- Collaborate with Product Owner, Technical Lead, and Test Analyst on maintenance projects to identify sets of cohesive problems (improvement themes) for development
- Support multiple concurrent projects
- Collaborate with Scrum team on work prioritization
- Perform Root Cause Analysis
What do you bring to the role?
- Self-starter who can set own priorities and can work independently with little guidance
- A willing and open attitude to learn and grow
- Flexible in your work approach to meet the needs of a diverse and changing work environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
- Analytical skills to visualize, articulate, and solve problems and concepts
- Post-secondary education or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years’ experience as a Business Systems Analyst or Business Analyst
- Experience in P&C insurance
- Strong experience with policy administration systems. Experience with Guidewire PolicyCenter is strongly preferred.
- Strong Interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills – confidence and ability to work with internal team and external vendor partners seamlessly
- Agile background – stories, elaboration, requirement methods
- Experience with the following systems is considered an asset: Guidewire ClaimCenter, Guidewire BillingCenter
- Business analysis, Lean Six Sigma, Agile certifications are considered an asset: CCBA, IIBA-ACC, Lean SIx Sigma Yellow Belt or higher, CSM, CSPO
- Proficiency with Microsoft Visio
- Skills in data analysis with MS Excel or other analysis tools
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).