Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Reporting to the General Counsel, Corporate Secretary and Privacy, the AVP, Legal (Corporate Finance & Securities) will play a leadership role within our legal team. The successful candidate will be seen as the senior specialist in this area of law, demonstrating confidence and expertise to be decisive, work independently and take carriage of financing and M&A transactions as well as disclosure, governance and compliance initiatives.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leadership on a broad range of legal matters, including corporate finance transactions (equity and debt), general corporate and securities law matters, M&A, corporate governance, and compliance;
- Keeping abreast of and advising on corporate/securities law developments;
- Oversight of public company reporting requirements and securityholder meetings, including Definity’s annual information form, annual proxy circular, annual and quarterly disclosures (financial statements, MD&A and other public company filings), and other continuous disclosure documents;
- Partnering with Investor Relations to review corporate presentations and news releases;
- Engaging with securities and financial services regulators, as needed;
- Assisting with the administration of corporate policies/procedures and compliance program, and corporate secretarial function;
- Supporting on matters relating to the board of directors and its committees; and
- Managing external counsel in various jurisdictions; assisting with management of overall legal budget and finding efficiencies;
- Mentorship and guidance for junior counsel and paralegals; and
- Providing assistance for strategic initiatives as required.
What you bring:
- Law degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario (or other Canadian province) to practice law
- 6-10 years of post-call experience focused primarily on securities work (capital markets), as well as M&A and corporate governance
- Excellent communication, research and drafting skills, including the capacity to communicate with business partners in the way they want to be dealt with
- Outstanding judgment and ability to deal with complex issues and safeguard confidential information
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities
- Willingness to build strong business relationships
- Exemplary professionalism and integrity
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).