Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- As a Specialist, Quality Engineering, you will be responsible for developing and executing test plans for releases with a focus on optimized coverage across workstreams
- Maximize test automation coverage by bringing in automation first mindset and look for opportunities to shift-left testing in the delivery process
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional team across various workstreams
- Provide accurate and detailed QE test status to stakeholders, along with issues, trends and potential impact and drive timely resolution of impediments
- Provide technical insights to business testers
- Identify and select industry best practices, to support continuous process improvements and efficiencies in the overall QE processes at Economical
- Participate in the coordination of the change/release management and production implementation processes and activities
- Provide project and technical orientation and support for team members
- Support development of insurance domain knowledge and understanding of business processes within the team
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of Quality engineering experience
- Experience in the Insurance industry is a must; hands-on experience on the Guidewire platform & claims is preferred
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Java, C++ or C# with experience in the development and maintenance of Test Automation Frameworks like Selenium
- Experience with testing RESTful APIs
- Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Experienced in interacting and coordinating test activities amongst multiple teams
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adapting quickly to changing conditions and providing approaches for pragmatic improvement and delivering results on time
- Experience and understanding of Agile software development methodologies
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery concepts and approaches and experience working in a DevOps environment
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).