Role Location: Hybrid
What can you expect in this role?
- Act as legal counsel in claims litigation matters, which includes attending trials and appeals, preparing court documents, reviewing and analyzing evidence, interviewing witnesses, conducting out-of-court examinations, acting in mediations or other ADR, engaging and instructing medical, financial and technical experts, surveillance and other third parties supporting litigation, client reporting and providing legal opinions and devising recommended strategies, negotiating settlements and drafting settlement documents, and working with and delegation to support staff
- Contributing to development of overall Claims Litigation Unit strategies and policies
- Work with other counsel in more complex matters or proceedings
What do you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- 2-6 years of post-call experience working in civil litigation, ideally insurance litigation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills across a range of contexts
- Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills with a proven capability for effective presentation tools/methods
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard confidential information
- Assertiveness in practice, but reasonable and forthright
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).