Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
What can you expect in this role?
The Senior Specialist, Internal Controls will be responsible for the following:
- Independently execute control validation and advisory engagements end to end, including design of testing procedures
- Work closely with Management within the Claims business unit to identify and assess top and emerging operational risks
- Evaluate and advise on the design and operational effectiveness of business processes and internal controls
- Formally report recommendations that are practical and address underlying root causes for any process or control issues identified
- Constructively challenge Management’s mitigating action plans and provide ongoing monitoring over their completion
- Contribute to the development and implementation of governance frameworks within the business, including the design of operational processes and controls
What do you bring to the role?
- Relevant professional designation(s) such as CPA, CIA, CISA, or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience within the financial services industry with significant exposure to internal/external audit, risk management, and/or regulatory compliance activities
- Good understanding of the property and casualty insurance business, including operations and related internal controls, would be an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build strong relationships and influence people at all levels
- Strong organizational and analytical problem-solving skills with the ability to resourcefully gather information, analyze critically, and communicate clearly
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).