Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
- Reviews the physical damage appraisal provided by the preferred vendor program
- Completes appraisal and negotiates with repair facilities on proper repair methods and pricing
- Controls expenditure to repair facilities by following up promptly on further damage reported by the repair facility
- Completes remote appraisals and negotiates with third parties (facilities that are not part of preferred vendor program)
- Review and produces estimate under our Photo Image Capture in Auda-Target system for non-preferred shops
- Review subrogation estimates for proper repair methods and pricing
- Assists and cooperates with colleagues during busy periods
- Processing total loss claims uploaded by preferred repair facility in an expedited manner
- Completes vehicle re-inspections uploaded by preferred repair facility (audit quality control)
- Participates in various team and performance meetings
- Covers all regions within Canada (become familiar with various regional differences)
- Communicates in a professional manner (written and verbal)
- Completes Autosource information documents for total loss files and stolen (not recovered) vehicles when requested
- Provides technical expertise (assistance) to adjusting staff when requested
- Maintains a high level of expertise in automobile repair techniques, estimating software and hardware and vehicle evaluations
- Provides possible new methods to improve current workflow for team leader review
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Maintains and updates job skills
- Performs desk audits to assure compliance within the CERF program
- Handles complex day-to-day physical damage issues
- Runs reports on trends and assists in providing details in a timely manner
- Handles towing issues
- Assists with total loss valuations assessment when required
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 2 years of direct experience either appraising/estimating automobile physical damages or working within an imaging desk or equivalent role
- Certified Auto-Body Repairer License (class A or B / 310B license OR Red Seal) is preferred.
- An Appraiser’s Certification of Qualification from the GAA would also be an asset for this position.
- Proficiency with Audatex estimating software is required
- Technical knowledge of auto body collision and mechanical repairs
- College/university/technical degree is an asset
- Must have good working knowledge of the collision industry
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Completion of I-Car and/or technical courses is an asset (continued education will be required)
- Must be proficient with Windows operating system and Microsoft Office (Excel)
- Heavy equipment knowledge will be an added asset
- Great communication skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).