Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
The AVP, Claims and CI Strategic Initiatives Delivery Leader is responsible for defining the approach and driving the delivery of strategic initiatives to completion. The responsibilities include collaboratively working with Claims and CI business leaders and TS leaders from strategy, engaging in architectural and design discussions, leading business case development efforts to ultimately leading successful delivery of the Claims and CI strategic initiatives. She/he will leverage staffing from a matrix structure, depending on the requirements, working collaboratively with all parties across both Claims and CI business, TS groups (business aligned and enterprise) and our vendor partners. She/he will be responsible for tracking progress within each strategic initiative, providing leadership for agile delivery, keeping the focus of the initiatives to plan, and also reporting progress to steering committees. She/he will be accountable for establishing strong, trusted, transparent and collaborative working relationships with Claims and CI business leaders, TS service leaders and respective teams. She/he must be comfortable engaging in strategic discussions with business, have a strong technical background with application development, customer service and agile delivery experience, with good track record assembling high trust and high-performance delivery teams. This role will play a key role in leading both transformational initiatives as well as operational initiatives from a technology perspective.
What can you expect in this role?
- Own the collaborative discussions with Claims and CI business leaders and TS leaders on Claims and CI focused strategic initiatives. This includes having line of sight into Claims and CI strategic initiatives with business leaders to understand what is involved with respective initiatives, then lead the discussions with the enterprise architecture & platforms, data, cybersecurity and infrastructure teams within TS to get the right coverage for solution approach
- Provide the leadership in building out the business case for the respective strategic initiatives, and present at appropriate committees
- Collaborating with Claims and CI business leaders and TS service leaders to provide leadership in assembling the right delivery teams based on the needs of the respective strategic initiative. This can also involve providing leadership on vendor SOWs and negotiating contracts with suppliers to make sure the right scope for delivery is covered, building and leading the sustainment pods in agile delivery, including but not limited to prioritization exercise with business leaders, team leadership and end to end accountability of successfully implemented releases
- Provide leadership to respective strategic initiatives delivery teams to achieve high trust and high performance to overcome blockers, with oversight on delivery, and reporting progress into respective steering committee
- Collaborate with operational PODs delivery leader within Claims and CI teams for seamless hand over into operational PODs/teams as strategic initiatives complete
- Responsible for defining the Claims and CI Strategic Initiatives Delivery team structure needs to be, building it out, and leading that PI Strategic Initiatives team. This includes providing regular feedback to the direct reports, keeping team members informed, including setting up appropriate feedback loop and regularly looking for ways to continue to improve the services
What do you bring to the role?
- Proven experience leading technology delivery teams across various functions including implementation and good experience with application management operations
- Strong application development background, including experience with application architecture and Software-as-a-Service delivery / usability
- Strong scrum and agile delivery experiences
- Experience leading delivery of digital channel services
- Experience leading vendors / service providers, negotiating contracts with a keen sense on customer service
- Good understanding of public / private cloud and infrastructure offerings and usability
- Comfortable working directly with business leaders, actively participating in discussions on business strategies and innovative / forward thinking business ideas
- Highly collaborative with the ability to manage many partners and stakeholders
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in technology space, with a strong understanding of operationalization when delivering strategic project / program initiatives
- Strong and demonstratable ability to form the right team from within a matrixed organization for successful delivery and achieving the business objectives
- Atleast 5 years of people management experience
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).