Senior Underwriter - Property
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 5447
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Montreal, Canada
Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll assess, accept, and decline new business submissions
- You’ll re-underwrite and negotiate renewals, and policy endorsements
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll develop and maintain positive broker relations
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college or a completed CIP designation
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Commercial Lines underwriting
- Established relationships with the following brokers would be considered an asset: Aon, BFL, HUB, Gallagher and Marsh
- Strong analytical skills; able to quickly interpret data, information, reports
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Strong ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
- You’re professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers
- You perform well in a busy environment and remains calm under pressure
- You’re a team player that is adaptable to a changing environment
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills in French and good English skills
- You have strong problem solving abilities
- You have well developed analytical skills.
- You can weigh many complex factors to ultimately make sound decisions, and explain your rationale
- Your work ethic drives you to take on challenges and see them through to completion
- You collaborate well will others, sharing your ideas, and listening to and integrating those of others
- Fluency in both English and French, oral and written.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).