Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Starting in September, Definity employees move to a hybrid work model so we can collaborate, build mentoring relationships, and solve complex or cross-functional business opportunities together. Our teams work in whichever environment best supports what they're working on and who they're working with. We're actively reinventing our offices as welcoming workspaces that optimize collaboration and empower leaders to use our space to strengthen team dynamics. Our tools and processes seamlessly connect employees from multiple locations, and our culture encourages respectful engagement and flexibility. Leaders work with their teams to determine the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their team, cross-functional engagement, responsibilities and timelines, plus those of our customers, our broker partners, and the company culture.
What can you expect in this role?
Agile / Lean Responsibilities (when Performing Project-Related Work)
- Collaborates with the Scrum Master and the team to develop and maintain the project Kanban/Product backlog, develop the Iteration/Sprint Plan and Release plan
- Collaborates with Business Owner and Delivery Team to evolve and deliver the project vision
- Develop User Story Map
- Writes concise and effective Epics, Features and User Stories
- Defines precise and accurate User Story acceptance criteria in the form of Specifications by Example
- Facilitates meetings (e.g., Stand-ups, Retrospectives, Acceptance Review, etc.), as required
- Acts as an expert on different types of requirements/artefacts/user stories and provides guidance to the team
- Ability to handle complex and cross-functional projects
- Responsible for delivering working software in collaboration with the project team
- Collaborates with Business Owner, Technical Lead, and Test Analyst on maintenance projects to identify sets of cohesive problems (improvement themes) for development through utilizing the Theme Idea Canvas
- Acts as an expert on different types of testing (automation, security, performance, regression, etc.) and provides guidance to their team on when each should or should not be used
- Drive and contribute to project solutions, JAD sessions, gathering input, documenting high level design documents
- Support Sr. Technical Product Owner and tech leads in defining overall approach
- Responsible (in partnership) with Tech Lead and PM to align all technology impacted teams.
- Responsible for documenting and managing change requests
- Track/document assumptions, risks, dependencies and ensure appropriate actions are taken.
- Leads workshops to capture and define functional and non-functional requirements as structured User Stories
- Validates the correctness of delivered requirements in advance of the active business owner reviewing completed work
- Helps estimate delivery work necessary to realize requirements through development lifecycle
- Assists the Developers in gathering additional details concerning specific requirements
- Facilitates workshops to define and optimize business processes to achieve business goals
- Facilitates User Experience and Usability workshops
- Responsible for the overall business requirements strategy
- Acts as an expert on different types of BA deliverables and provides guidance to their team on when each should or should not be used
- Assists the testing team in defining testing scenarios (including data, acceptance criteria, rules, etc.) for each requirement that is going to be delivered during an iteration
- Supports the Business Owner in all activities pertaining to Acceptance Testing
- Support the management of the defect triaging with the Quality Engineering team
- Assists the project team with setting up and maintaining the project Kanban System
- Supports the development of the initial Release Plan by MMF in collaboration with the Project Manager, Business Owner, Scrum Master, and the Technical Lead
- Helps create the Iteration Plan in collaboration with the Scrum Master, Technical Lead, Technical Tester, and Development team
- Supports the identification and resolution of Risks / Issues / Blockers in collaboration with the project team
- Supports the Business Owner by providing discipline, rigor and technical skill to the requirements definition and validation process
- Support project manager throughout the project life cycle
- Responsible for security documentation and related security activities
- Responsible for documenting operational readiness process
- Assists the Business Owner in the Acceptance Review process
- Assists the Scrum Master with implementing improvements, retrospectives, metrics reporting, and management of Risks / Issues / Blockers
- Work closely with third party vendors; ability to challenge the vendor design to ensure what is being built satisfies the needs of the business partners
Mentoring and Development
- Works closely with and teaches more junior Business Systems Analysts to grow their Analysis skills and application knowledge
- Collaborates with the BA Team Leads to help create development plans for more junior staff and help execute on those plans
- Support BA Team Leads in recruting / hiring efforts
- Regularly share knowledge with the BA team to encourage new ways of thinking about problems, new approaches to testing, and industry best practices
- Keep up-to-date on industry trends and best practices and share with the BA team
What do you bring to the role?
- University Degree in computer science, information systems or a related discipline
- 10+ years Business Analysis experience with a strong emphasis around software development
- Strong knowledge of Oracle Fusion HCM modules such as Core HR, Talent Management & Compensation
- 3+ years’ experience in a true Agile / Scrum / XP environment
- Experience implementing Oracle Fusion HCM from Oracle EBS(an asset)
- 3+ years of formal or informal leadership experience
- Core competencies: customer service orientation, teamwork, collaboration, adaptability, initiative, critical and analytical thinking
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to express ideas in a clear and concise manner, tailoring message to the intended audience and level of management
- Flexible and possess willingness to take on new projects/roles and to contribute to team’s success in a variety of capacities
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task effectively and independently in a fast-paced environment
- Jira/Confluence experience is an asset
- Proven skill and effectiveness in Project Planning using MVPs (Minimal Viable Product), Model using structured notation (UML), business process modelling
- Relevant industry-related certifications are considered an asset. For example: BABOK, CCBA, CBAP, PMP
- Ability to effectively facilitate workshops to conduct requirements gathering, story mapping, business planning, data analysis, process analysis, functional and non-functional requirements analysis, system design and test implementation
- Experience performing end-user interviews, leading requirements gathering sessions, and leading User Acceptance Testing
- Strong soft skills, including the ability to speak to both technical and business concerns and effectively negotiate with stakeholders"
- Solid understanding of the P&C industry, and of one or more Economical lines of business.
- Be self-aware, self-motivated / directed, demonstrate strong multi-tasking, time management skills, and lead / coach others
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).