Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
What to expect in the role:
- Direct handling of property claims across the country, including files repatriated from independent adjusters and internal file transfers
- Handling of overflow claims on a national basis during peak periods of new intake
- Directing and instructing independent adjusters as required
- Expected mix of direct handle to examining files is 75 / 25
- Processing claims payments within the level of authority after verifying entitlement.
- Organizing and attending meetings, discoveries and conferences relevant to the claim files. Remove for intermediate
- Formulating future handling strategies in conjunction with legal counsel and/or independent adjusters. This includes reviewing case law and coverage, identifying issues and concerns in relation to corporate exposures, clarifying issues, and determining how best to proceed to bring file to early resolution
- Conducting settlement analysis. This includes reviewing the file and screen notes, understanding the strengths, weaknesses and exposures, translating the analysis into a settlement proposal and developing a recommendation for approval adhering to staff authority and corporate guidelines.
- Working with the customer and preferred Vendors to ensure the best course of action is taken to resolve the claim quickly and efficiently
- Communicating with Underwriting Department on matters relevant to the claim files.
- Assisting in training and providing technical support to team members
- Initiating salvage and subrogation procedures on assigned files
- Vacation relief for frontline adjusters
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year college diploma from a provincially recognized and funded community college or fully completed CIP designation.
- A minimum of 5 years claims handling experience is required
- Experience in handling of property (personal and commercial) is required
- Experience with mediation, arbitration and litigation is an asset
- Proficient in MS Office and strong computer skills.
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers, co-workers or vendors.
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure.
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).