Specialty Lines Underwriting Technician
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 5399
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
What can you expect in this role?
We are evolving our Specialty capabilities by strengthening and building on our current product offering, with the goal of differentiating Economical in the Canadian marketplace. As part of the Specialty Lines team you will help deliver innovative and effective solutions to support profitable growth of our portfolio. Underwrite different types of transactions, including (but not limited to) renewals and policy changes depending on your level of authority. Work with the team to maintain a profitable insurance portfolio.
- Develop and apply knowledge of product solutions, types of risks and Economical processes.
- Provide exceptional service to broker/MGA partners in all interactions.
- Contribute to the achievement of established service level agreements and operational service level agreements.
- Liaise with broker/MGA and internal stakeholders to reconcile account discrepancies, manage inquiries and provide necessary documents as requested.
- Ensure that insurance policies are priced according to company guidelines and that the rate is adequate in the relevant policy management system.
- Processing bordereaux sent by MGAs and providing first line quality control to ensure risks eligibility.
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed high school diploma and relevant work experience.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have post-secondary credential (s) or the CIP designation.
- At least 1-2 years’ experience in a commercial underwriting support position.
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, both with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to perform tasks well in a busy period and to maintain composure under pressure.
- Team spirit and ability to adapt well to a changing environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in an underwriting support role.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).