Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
In this role, you will be:
Reporting to the National Auto Appraisal Team Leader, the Appraiser will be accountable for the direct handling of moderate to complex physical damage appraisals, assess damage, and responsible for reviewing, monitoring and assuring that appraisal compliance is achieved. The candidate will also be liaising with the certified Economical repair facilities to establish and build an environment of mutual respect and trust. The Appraiser is responsible for pursuing a cost-effective avenue for repairs, preparing estimates, and negotiating with repair facilities.
What can you expect in this role?
- Travel to various sites within Calgary to review automotive physical damage and conduct appraisals
- Complete appraisal and negotiates with repair facilities on proper repair methods and pricing
- Control expenditure to repair facilities by following up promptly on further damage reported by the repair facility
- Complete remote appraisals and negotiates with third parties (facilities that are not part of preferred vendor program)
- Review subrogation estimates for proper repair methods and pricing
- Assist and cooperates with colleagues during busy periods
- Process total loss claims in an expedited manner
- Complete vehicle re-inspections as required.
- Participate in various team and performance meetings
- Cover all regions within Canada within the remote estimating program and Image Capture
- Complete Autosource information documents for total loss files and stolen (not recovered) vehicles when requested
- Provide technical expertise (assistance) to adjusting staff when requested in person or remotely
- Maintain a high level of expertise in automobile repair techniques, estimating software and hardware and vehicle evaluations
- Provide possible new methods to improve current workflow for team leader review
- Perform desk audits to assure compliance
- Handle towing issues in consultation with the towing team
- Work in tandem with other appraisers when required to cover staffing shortages, vacation time, absences etc.
What do you bring to the role?
- Minimum 4 years of direct experience appraising/estimating automobile physical damages
- Preference will be given to candidate with a Certified Auto-Body Repairmen License (class A or B / 310B Journeyman OR Red Seal)
- Proficiency with estimating software is required (Audatex, Mitchell)
- Technical knowledge of auto body collision and mechanical repairs
- College/university/technical degree is an asset
- Must have good working knowledge of the collision industry
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Completion of I-Car and/or technical courses is an asset (continued education will be required)
- Must be proficient with Windows operating system and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- Must bring a positive attitude and team focus to the role
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with all stakeholders
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License and clean driving record
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).