Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
What can you expect in this role?
- Manage a portfolio of large complex claims, including large CGL claims
- Coach and Mentor junior staff
- Engage all stakeholders in the effective management of a claim including underwriting, reinsurance, actuary and senior leadership
- Assist in the quality assurance audits of our Claims staff, vendors and brokers.
- Represent Economical in litigation, mediation and alternate dispute processes
- Assist in training and providing technical support to team members
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customer, co-workers or vendors
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Strive to continually push the boundaries of your adjusting experience and personal learnings
- Team player adaptable to changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year college diploma from a provincially recognized and funded community college or fully completed CIP designation
- Bilingualism in both English and French is an asset
- A minimum of 8 - 10 years general claims handling experience
- A minimum of 4 years claims experience handling large CGL and/or bodily injury claims Experience with mediation, arbitration and litigation
- Experience coaching and mentoring junior staff
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office and strong computer skills
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).