Sr Actuarial Analyst - R&D, Commercial Pricing
Job ID : 7201
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Montreal, Canada
Posting Range : $69,800 - $140,400
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
The successful candidate will report to the Manager, Research & Development, Commercial Pricing and will support the enhancement and development of predictive pricing models for commercial automobile, property and casualty, leveraging advanced statistical techniques.
What can you expect in this role?
- Emphasis on learning various actuarial operations and the insurance business, such as underwriting, claims handling and product development.
- Leverage professional experience with spreadsheets, databases and statistical software to compile and categorize data used in more advanced pricing, reserving and profitability analysis.
- Communicate actuarial concepts and make recommendations to management both verbally and in writing with supporting documentation.
- Produce various data exhibits and analysis relating to measuring, tracking and monitoring company and industry performance.
- Independently respond to routine requests of internal and external stakeholders related to standard reports and processes.
- Perform peer reviews on the technical and qualitative analysis of peers and more junior staff.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any one of the following programs: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics
- Completion of 4-6 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society
- 2-5 years of relevant experience full time experience
- Possess strong programming skills, including experience applying advanced statistical techniques to build loss cost predictive pricing models.
- Efficient use of Microsoft applications (Excel, Access, etc.)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Team player, adaptable to a changing and fast-paced environment
Salary range is $69,800 - $140,400.
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).