Intermediate Financial Analyst – Reinsurance
Job ID : 7200
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Posting Range : $52,300 - $103,300
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the Manager, Reinsurance, this Intermediate Financial Analyst position is a key member of the reinsurance team. This financial reporting focused role provides opportunity for cross functional collaboration between financial reporting, financial planning, capital management, actuarial, underwriting, and claims.
What can you expect in this role?
- Support month-end close process for reinsurance including journal entries, general ledger reconciliations, regulatory reporting, and monthly analysis
- Prepare monthly reinsurance claim and premium calculations including billing and collections from reinsurers
- Assist in the quarterly reinsurance forecast as part of corporate business plan process
- Help create reinsurance analysis including P&L performance, counterparty monitoring, and other ad hoc analysis
- Support the annual reinsurance placement including preparation of underwriting submissions and presentation materials
- Deep dive into processes to continually look for improvements and efficiencies that help to reduce cycle time
- Create strong links with various business units in order to deliver on responsibilities
- Self-review work performed for reasonability, accuracy and completeness
What do you bring to the role?
- University or college degree in business, finance, or related program
- A CPA accounting designation, or working towards a CPA accounting designation
- 2+ years’ experience with financial reporting and month-end close processes or alternatively experience auditing mid- and large-sized clients will be strongly preferred
- Insurance and / or reinsurance experience will be considered an asset
- Strong work ethic and commitment to operational excellence
- Excellent attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Flexibility to deal with time sensitive ad hoc requests as they arise
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers or co-workers
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Salary range is $52,300 - $103,300.
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).