Intermediate Actuarial Analyst, Strategic Risk
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7179
Category : Corporate Actuarial & Risk
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $59,400 - $118,100
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the Manager – Climate Change, Corporate Actuarial, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for Risk Management activities such as modelling the physical and economic impact of climate change on our insurance and asset portfolios, monitoring of our exposure to natural catastrophes, regulatory reporting on climate change, and supporting other teams such as Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Environment, Social and Governance (ESG), Finance, Claims, Pricing & Underwriting, and Reinsurance. Financial Condition Testing (FCT), Capital modelling / monitoring, and supporting other strategic initiatives will be secondary responsibilities.
What can you expect in this role?
- Support climate change initiatives such as monitoring, researching impacts on business operations, and preparing disclosures
- Assist with the strategic goals of the company such as limiting catastrophe risk and assessing viability of business decisions from a Capital standpoint
- Support the regulatory reporting related to climate change
- Support the FCT and other Capital modelling/monitoring processes
- Work collaboratively with other Actuarial teams such as Reserving, Planning, Pricing, and Analytics to solve complex problems, and provide recommendations to management
- Work closely with external departments such as ERM, ESG, Claims, Finance & Reinsurance on various projects
- Identify opportunities for process efficiencies, and recommend changes
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any one of the following programs: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, or Statistics
- Completion of 4-6 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society
- 2-5 years of relevant full-time experience
- Knowledge of Catastrophe modelling, Natural Hazards, Climate Change (Physical and Transition Risk), or Geographical Information Systems (GIS) would be an asset
- Knowledge of climate sciences
- Strong programming and software skills, including knowledge of SAS/SQL/VBA. Efficient user of Microsoft applications such as Excel and Access, and data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R, particularly if applied to analyze spatial climate hazards, would be an asset
- Excellent communication, organizational skills, and being detail oriented
- Team player, adaptable to a changing and fast-paced environment, and having a keen sense of responsibility
Salary range is $59,400 - $118,100.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).