Human Resources Generalist
Job ID : 7175
Category : Human Resources
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Posting Range : $55,800 - $102,800
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
As part of a dynamic and high-performing HR team, the Human Resource Generalist (HRG) delivers both strategic and administrative responsibilities related to the employee lifecycle in effectively meeting business needs. This role provides the HRG an opportunity to have real impact on the business in shaping the employee experiences as they handle employee inquiries, leadership requests, identify and escalate complex employee relations issues to HR Business Partner as needed. This role also serves as intermediary between the business and extended Human Resources team, providing technical, transactional, and communication support to the HRBP team and HR Centres of Excellence.
The incumbent must demonstrate, through behaviours and actions, Definity’'s values of focusing on the customer first, bringing our best and collaborating in a manner that makes us stronger together.
Who We’re Looking For:
- You’re highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- You’re excellent at identifying and articulating problems and influencing decision-makers
- You’re highly organized, self-motivated, customer-oriented and able to work independently as well as within a collaborative team environment, and with internal business partners at all levels of the organization
- You recognize when customers might not be satisfied with a solution, even though the solution meets the requirements, and you are comfortable recommending alternatives
- Job Responsibilities
- Actively support the HRBP in advising leaders on people, organization decisions and change management efforts
- Support day-to day talent activities e.g., performance management, coaching and graduated return to work programs
- Manage and resolve escalated employee relations issues. Assist in conducting effective investigations, corrective action recommendation and associated documentation.
- Track business strategies to improve employee engagement year over year, as measured through the continuous listening process;
- Support HRBP initiatives as subject matter expert on special projects and assignments (e.g., such as mergers and acquisitions, organizational restructuring, and policy development by conducting data analysis and offering insights)
- Develop and analyze HR metrics to identify business opportunities working with the HR team to implement solutions
- Support execution of talent management and succession planning activities within the business
- Support the deployment, administration and sustainment of new and existing HR policies and programs
- University Degree /College diploma or equivalent experience
- CHRP/CHRL completed or in progress
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience as an HR Generalist or in a similar role within HR preferably within Financial Services
- Strong knowledge of HR practices including benefits, compensation, employment law, employee/labor relations, talent management and learning and development
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong proficiency with HRIS systems and MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must possess excellent judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills in preparing data analysis and metrics and in applying strategies and resolving HR matters;
- Ability to manage multiple work streams simultaneously
- Ability to work well independently, under time pressure with frequent time deadlines
- Strong desire to continuously improve and help others improve
- Must be dependable, pro-active and flexible
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).