Bilingual Specialist, Underwriting and Billing
Job ID : 7168
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Mississauga, Canada
Posting Range : $55,800 - $102,800
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
*Must be bilingual English and French
The Bilingual Specialist, Underwriting & Billing will help support the development and underwriting capability of front-line staff through peer coaching and feedback on referrals related to underwriting and billing. The Specialist will coach front line teams on how to resolve issues and respond to broker inquiries. They will also identify trends in issues being escalated and provide recommendations to the Leadership team on ways to address frequent issues.
The Specialist will be required to make individual policy level decisions/accommodations, within their authority level and defined decision framework, that will enable profitable growth and align with the strategic direction of Personal Insurance. They will be required to review and assess risk for acceptability on highly complex scenarios. Upon acknowledgement that a scenario requires further escalation, the Specialist would proceed with a referral to the appropriate team/authority level, ensuring they have gathered all pertinent information, and have supported their referral with a well-documented business case, including their recommendation and proposed terms.
Broker Inquiries– 70%
Handle highly complex inquiries and accommodation requests pertaining to underwriting, billing, products and pricing. Review and approve underwriting/billing exceptions in accordance with rules and authority levels. Handle referrals from other staff; Insurance Representatives and Advisors, Underwriting and Billing that fall outside of their authority or provide back-up to Level 1 & 2 as needed.
Transaction Processing – 30%
Process more complex transactions not enabled by broker self-service functionality, including but not limited to new business, policy changes, cancellations etc., in accordance with underwriting guidelines and authority.
- Knowledge of PI products and underwriting practices
- Solid technical underwriting knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- High degree problem solving skills
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate
- Excellent time management skills with ability to multitask
- Customer service focused with a positive helpful attitude
- Ability to coach and provide technical guidance to others
Level of Problem Solving
Problems are nonstandard. Requires thinking within clear by substantially diversified procedures. Work entails differing situations requiring search for solutions. Solves own problems and those of less experienced team members. Solves complex problems
- 5+ years of insurance / underwriting experience (required)
- Fluently communication skills in both English and French. High degree of proficiency with English required to service customers, both internal to the company and external, across Canada.
- Univ. Degree /College diploma or equivalent experience
- CIP / working towards designation / License preferred
- Knowledge of Economical's PI offerings and Guidewire an asset
Key note: This role will be considered a subject matter “expert” when it comes to underwriting and billing, requiring the highest level of experience and expertise.
Salary Range: $55,800 - $102,800
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).