Specialist, Technical - Corporate Underwriting, Commercial Insurance
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7153
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Kitchener, Canada
Posting Range : $74,100 - $136,500
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
- Underwriting Quality and Risk Appetite: Acts as the key contact for P&C Corporate Underwriting for other departments and provide direction and support to the regions and/or divisions on underwriting matters. Engage in underwriting decision-making when risks fall outside the scope of regional authority. Elevate underwriting matters to the Director, Corporate Underwriting, as necessary.
- Product Development: Working closely with other Head Office Departments (Pricing, ERM, Corporate Communications, Claims, IT) in the development and introduction of new or amended products. Guide the development and implementation of procedures coincidental with such changes.
- Underwriting Guidelines: Identify and implement necessary changes to underwriting and pricing guidelines to support corporate objectives, underwriting philosophy and changes in the marketplace. Ensure that changes maintain the integrity of our pricing, policy and practices.
- Acts as the key contact for Corporate Underwriting for other departments and provide direction and support to the regions and/or divisions on compliance and regulatory matters. Engage in underwriting decision-making when risks fall outside the scope of regional authority. Elevate quality and compliance matters to the Director, Corporate Underwriting, as necessary.
- Placement of excess facultative reinsurance for Property and Casualty risks (as referred by Regional Underwriting). Underwrite risk in accordance with reinsurance guidelines and authority
- Portfolio analysis to understand trends, profitability and market competitors
Your Skills and Experience
- The incumbent is expected to bring both strong technical Property/Casualty underwriting skills and management skills to this position. University degree or college diploma in a relevant discipline
- Strong organizational skills; Excellent problem-solving skills; able to gather information, analyze critically and cut through complexity to arrive at workable solutions and the ability to influence and effectively negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Helps build and maintain a culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, teamwork, and a high level of professionalism.
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills; excellent computer literacy and analytic skills
Salary Range is $74,100 - $136,500
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).