Actuarial Technical Specialist, Strategic Risk
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7047
Category : Corporate Actuarial & Risk
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Vancouver, Canada
Posting Range : $75,700 - $152,300
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the Director – Strategic Risk, Corporate Actuarial, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for Financial Condition Testing (FCT), & other Capital modelling / monitoring initiatives. Risk Management activities as it relates to catastrophes as well as climate change and supporting both internal teams within Corporate Actuarial and external teams such as Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Finance, Reinsurance will be secondary responsibilities of the candidate.
What can you expect in this role?
- Perform the Financial Condition Testing process, including deciding on stress scenarios, refreshing the model with latest assumptions, running the scenarios and interpreting the results. Also make enhancements to the FCT model and explore other modelling platforms.
- Assist in the setting of capital targets for the enterprise.
- Support Risk Management initiatives such as Catastrophe modelling, Aggregation/Concentration monitoring, and assessing impact of climate change from both a Capital & Risk Management perspectives
- Assist with the strategic goals of the company such as M&A activity, limiting catastrophe risk, and assessing viability of business decisions from a Capital standpoint
- Work collaboratively with other Actuarial teams such as Reserving, Planning, and external teams such as Finance, Reinsurance, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) to solve complex problems, and provide recommendations to management.
- Identify opportunities for process efficiencies, and recommend changes
- Support leader in coaching and counselling of junior team members
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in any one of the following programs: Actuarial Sciences, Mathematics, or Statistics
- Completed a minimum of 5 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society or equivalent credentials. Passing Exam 6-C and/or 9 would be an asset
- At least 5 years of full-time actuarial experience in the insurance industry
- Knowledge of Capital modelling, FCT, & IFRS 17 would be an asset
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Results-driven mindset with a focus on driving business performance
- Proficiency in actuarial software and programming languages (Excel, VBA, SQL, etc.)
- Strong communication and presentation abilities to convey complex concepts
Salary range is $75,700 - $152,300.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).