Senior Property Underwriter, Specialty Insurance
Job ID : 7147
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Posting Range : $84,000 - $154,700
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
What can you expect in this role?
- Execute on strategy to attract and retain new brokers and clients, seek out new opportunities via broker, client and industry functions and marketing related activities.
- Perform all associated underwriting duties in order to critically review and prepare underwriting cases to Director and/or VP in order to add new accounts as 'active' in the system.
- Ongoing negotiation and maintenance in order to efficiently complete all underwriting periodically as above.
- Engage with Director and/or VP where needed when accounts are outside of assigned authority.
- Assist with expert advise when needed on all submissions under the dual underwriting approach.
- Leverage past relationships to build our service and relationship focused brand.
- Experience in underwriting large multi national commercial property risks with some experience in Energy Sector- oil and gas/power generation and mining
- Analyze submissions in according to company underwriting guidelines and request additional information as needed or required. i.e. Engineering reports, CAT modeling, recommendations
- Manages the underwriting portfolio in accordance with guidelines and approved rating models, ensuring best practice is always maintained and seeking for profitability.
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in a related discipline
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Construction business underwriting, including Energy related.
- Strong analytical, mathematical, decision making and negotiating skills
- Committed team player
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Excellent existing broker relationships and the proven ability to create and nurture new relationships
Salary Range is $84,000 - $154,700
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).