Sr Specialist, Data Governance
Job ID : 7145
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $66,300 - $122,100
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the Data Enablement Manager, EDO this role will be a key member of the EDO, advising business units in executing on Data governance and management initiatives to establish the EDO as a trusted partner. The successful candidate is an individual contributor and also a self-starter. The Data Specialist is empowered to work independently with teams and projects across the organization, supporting the goal to advance Data Management and Data Governance Maturity.
What can you expect in this role?
- Facilitate cross-functional data information gathering and work with others to implement Data Governance and Management initiatives including supporting documentation for requirements, planning and design activities
- Execute the Data change & issue management processes ensuring the appropriate engagement of the required stakeholders; Work with stakeholders to develop practical strategies, plans, and solutions to identified issues and problems
- Onboard and train partners from within the organization into key governance roles as part of the Enterprise Data Office federated model for governing data and data assets across the organization
- Support Data Governance roles in ensuring compliance with Data governance standards and processes
- Support business units and corporate functions in the assessment of Data Governance and Management needs, liaise with other key EDO service owners, and help prioritize remediation activities
- Ensure prompt and thorough resolution or escalation of Data related issues, decisions, and changes and track issue resolution lifecycle
- Share regular updates with stakeholders regarding proposed solutions, timelines, progress, and issues
- Develop and maintain education/communication tools and documents as well as to conduct knowledge sharing sessions on key Data management topics to applicable audiences
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree required; Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, MIS, Computer Science, or other related disciplines; Understanding of privacy laws and regulations is an asset
- 2-3 years of experience in Data Governance, Metadata Management, Business Intelligence, or Data Analysis in the insurance / financial services industry; Experience with Data Lineage, Data Cataloging, and/or Data Policy implementation
- 2-3 years of experience capturing and documenting complex business and functional requirements; Knowledge and understanding of Data Governance challenges and best practices for Metadata, Data Quality, and Data Stewardship
- Exposure to Data Governance or Data Management tools (such as Collibra, IBM IIS, Informatica, etc.) and working knowledge of Big Data, Data Lakes, and the Insurance technology ecosystem
- Experience with Data profiling or defining Data quality rules is an asset
- Ability to identify problems/opportunities, analyze root cause, and present recommendations;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify, quantify, and effectively raise business risks associated with Data governance or non-compliance
- Experience working with multiple teams to drive alignment and results
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills, attention to detail, sense of urgency, and commitment to deadlines
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Previous experience with industry leading record management tools required
Salary range is $66,300 - $122,100.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).