Senior Product Owner, Data POD (Personal Insurance)
Job ID : 7070
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Economical
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $81,600 - $150,100
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Reporting to the VP, PI Business Platforms, the Senior Product Owner, PI Data POD, provides leadership and drives the effective delivery of business needs within the dedicated PI Data Pod. This includes the management of both BAU and Strategic Initiative changes/requests from intake, backlog prioritization and the establishment and execution of a delivery roadmap. You have the knowledge and vision for the final product and our Data and Business Strategies, and the skills required to make decisions that drive that work forward to implementation. You lead the development effort by driving the vision to the Agile team and outlining and prioritizing work based on business value.
You will work with and manage a variety of stakeholders across Personal Insurance as well as but not limited to TS, Commercial Insurance, Advanced Analytics, Business Intelligence and Fraud. The PI Data POD delivers the changes required to support Upstream (Ingestion), Regulatory and Existing and New Data Products. The POD also addresses identified defects.
What can you expect in this role
- Determine PI Data priorities for delivery from all intake sources and collaborate with business Product Owners/Business Owners to ensure the PI Data POD is delivering on the highest priority items to support PI.
- Provide leadership for delivery prioritization, ensuring decisions are made in a timely fashion.
- Participate in the sprint planning and backlog refinement sessions, establishing acceptance criteria, driving prioritization, designing, maintaining and executing product roadmaps.
- Work with POD team members to adhere to Agile ceremonies.
- Support sizing and sprint planning to ensure optimization of capacity and business benefits.
- Proactively coordinate with other PODs and Product Owners to ensure delivery dates that include the Data POD deliverables are achievable and well planned out.
- Provide business requirements either directly or through collaboration with Business Owners with a focus on ensuring both the ingestion and downstream requirements for data are considered.
- Ensure dependencies are prioritized appropriately across teams, liaising with stakeholders to identify and understand potential conflicts or dependencies and/or synergies.
- Schedule regular touchpoints with Business Owners to ensure full understanding of their strategies and asks, and how they align to the overall PI business plan and strategic direction.
- Identify, manage, and mitigate risks to delivery and quality and escalate as required.
- Manage stakeholder expectations, influence, negotiate and remove key impediments to progress.
- Support ongoing process improvement activities to bring greater efficiency to the delivery process.
- Identify and raise opportunities to drive productivity and POD engagement, demonstrating a mindset of continuous improvement.
What do you bring to the role
- Bachelor’s degree or similar level in related field
- 8+ years in a multi-stakeholder Product Ownership/Project Delivery role (using Agile) with a proven ability to manage and deliver conflicting business requests.
- Deep business experience within the Property & Casualty industry and its related practices and processes, specifically with deep understanding of data, data strategy and its tie to business enablement.
- Preference to certification in Agile, Scrum
- Demonstrated competency in Agile, Jira, Confluence, MS Project
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Leads effectively in the face of ambiguity and is confident balancing multiple priorities and stakeholders.
- Creative, innovative, and critical thinker who demonstrates calm and performs well under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence & effectively negotiate with stakeholders, strong facilitation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement mindset with an ability to drive productivity and POD engagement.
Salary range is $81,600 - $150,100
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).