Actuarial Pricing Specialist, Personal Insurance
Job ID : 6996
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Montreal, Canada
Posting Range : $75,700 - $152,300
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
We are seeking an Actuarial Pricing Technical Specialist to join our Personal Insurance Pricing Department at Definity. In this role, you will apply your actuarial expertise and business acumen to support the identification, development, execution, and monitoring of pricing actions for our portfolios. You will play a critical role in conducting advanced actuarial analysis and providing technical guidance to your peers to drive sound pricing proposals and decisions.
What can you expect in this role?
- Design and enhance rate adequacy analysis based on actuarial principles to ensure they are actuarially sound and reflective of forthcoming market conditions
- Conduct deep dive analysis to understand and explain the key drivers of performance
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a focus on data-driven decision making.
- Identify and implement process efficiencies across the team’s operational works
- Provide technical review, coaching and guidance to other team members
- Proactively manage timelines and deliverables
- Effectively communicate actuarial concepts and make pricing recommendations to management with supporting analysis and documentations
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and leadership stakeholders to gain alignment in key assumptions and to understand the business stories underlying each portfolio.
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- Completed a minimum of 6 exams of the Casualty Actuarial Society or equivalent credentials
- At least 4 years of actuarial pricing experience in the insurance industry
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Solid knowledge of insurance products, pricing methodologies, and industry best practices
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Results-driven mindset with a focus on driving business performance
- Proficiency in actuarial software and programming languages (Excel, VBA, SQL, etc.)
- Strong communication and presentation abilities to convey complex concepts effectively
Salary range is $75,700 - $152,300
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).