Sr. Actuarial Technical Specialist, Personal Insurance
Job ID : 6995
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Montreal, Canada
Posting Range : $85,300 - $175,100
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
The incumbent reports to one of the Actuarial Vice Presidents and has responsibility to actuarial area of personal insurance-pricing, working primarily on larger scale projects.
Pricing responsibilities include analysis pertaining to rate adequacy, including analysis of loss and premium trends, development of rating structures using mutli-variate actuarial models and research and development of emerging technologies. Support is provided to product development in personal insurance.
What can you expect in this role?
- Work collaboratively with management to expand and build on project plans for complex projects and provide technical leadership on emerging actuarial issues.
- Combine creative actuarial knowledge with sound business judgment in developing sophisticated models that assist the company in meeting growth and profitability targets.
- Communicate actuarial concepts and be persuasive in providing recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Recommend new approaches to analysis related to measuring, tracking and monitoring company and industry performance.
- Identify opportunities for process efficiencies across business areas.
- Perform peer reviews on the technical and qualitative analysis of peers.
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- At a minimum, must have attained associateship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS)
- At least 5 years of relevant full time experience with a preference for individuals who have experience across a range of actuarial disciplines.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Solid knowledge of insurance products, pricing methodologies, and industry best practices
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Results-driven mindset with a focus on driving business performance
- Proficiency in actuarial software and programming languages (Excel, VBA, SQL, etc.)
Salary range is $85,300 - $175,100
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).