API & Integration Architect
Job ID : 7078
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $75,700 - $152,300
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
Join our team as an API & Integration Platform Architect, you will spearhead the advancement and governance of our enterprise API, Event and Microservices integration platforms. Reporting directly to the AVP of API & Integration, you will craft strategies, establish best practices, and drive the adoption of standards that align with our enterprise architecture goals. Your role will entail close collaboration with Enterprise Architects, Cloud Engineers, and business domain experts to architect solutions that enhance our integration capabilities and ensure a seamless, secure, and efficient digital ecosystems to support our business objectives and deliver value to our customers
What you’ll be doing
- Architect the enterprise API, Event and Microservice Integration Platforms, reporting directly to AVP, API & Integration.
- Be responsible for the development and maintenance of API & Integration platforms strategy, standards, patterns and best practices.
- Drive Enterprise Integration Strategies aligning with Enterprise Target Architecture, working with Enterprise Architects, Cloud Engineer, Info Security and business domain counterparts and delivery teams to implement enterprise integration architectures.
- Design and provide expert guidance to team in API & Integration Solution
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of existing and emerging technology for enterprise integration platforms
- Customer orientation and technical strategic acumen is a must;
- Participate in estimation of complex IT projects, including assumptions, risks, issues, improvements, and dependencies based on documented scope, under waterfall and agile methodologies
- Working with BSA to ensure the creations of verbose API Specification and working with QE to ensure API’s are thoroughly tested
- Maintains an overall understanding of all changes impacting Microservices and Integration platform, including vendor, and external implementations outside of portfolio
What you bring
- 8-10 years of experience as a Solution Architect working with Integration platforms and API-oriented development
- 1-2 years of modern Enterprise Architecture experience, with hands-on applications’ architecture and solution design
- Familiar with architecture quality attributes, their basic tactics and most-common trade-offs including tackling performance, availability, security and maintainability issues
- Understanding and experience on most of the following architectural styles: Layered Architectures, Transactional applications, Client-Server, Sync/Async messaging, Microservices, PaaS-based architectures and SaaS-based applications; Experience designing Cloud PaaS and SaaS solutions
- Understanding and experience on most of the following types of Integration solutions: Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), API Management Platform, Kafka Streaming Platform and iPaaS
- Understanding and experience on most of the following types of Integration protocols/principles: SOAP and WS-* stack, REST APIs, RESTful, RPC/RFC
- Proven experience with API Management Platform (Apigee, AWS API Gateway) for at least 2 year
- Strong background in API REST, Integration platforms
- Hands-on experience with Kafka and other distributed event store and streaming processing platform
- Ability to work in an Agile environment with a strong practice in BDD, TDD, CI, CD, Git, Jenkins, Confluence, JIRA, Swagger
- Experience in enterprise projects with complex applications integrated with each other
- Understanding of security paradigms having used patterns/technologies like OAuth2, Auth0, ForgeRock.
- Nice to have experience with container technologies (eg. Openshift, Kubernetes)
- Possesses strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept in Iterative and/or Agile environments
- Organized with the ability to quickly prioritize and effectively handle critical issues or competing priorities; move with agility from one task to another
- Ability to effectively facilitate collaborative sessions with large and diverse business stakeholder groups to drive requirements discovery, analysis, and review
- Demonstrate a high degree of self-motivation and tenacity to get the job done
- Excellent communication skills, analytical and problem-solving skills, inquisitive nature and comfort challenging current practices
Salary range is $75,700 - $152,300
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).