Sr Financial Analyst, Financial Planning and Analysis
Job ID : 7056
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Posting Range : $58,500 - $115,900
Definity is the parent company to some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative property and casualty insurers. We can’t do that without our people, so we embrace and encourage a culture that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
We offer a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Bring your true self and be a part of our journey. It’s better here.
What can you expect in this role?
- Support the Expense Management team in executing regular deliverables related to budgeting and forecasting, month-end activities, benchmarking, and expense reporting
- Work alongside the business to develop their annual budget and quarterly forecasts including analysis on the drivers of operational results, risks & opportunities, trends, variances, and commentary
- Act as a business partner to internal departments, providing them with financial information and analysis to make informed business decisions
- Support month-end and quarter-end closing tasks related to accruals to ensure accurate financial reporting
- Support the Finance team and business partners with ad hoc financial requests as required
- Report on consolidated expense results monthly and as part of budget and forecast cycles, including detailed analysis of operating and variable expenses
- Coordinate with the business and compile data to support annual benchmarking, as well as support business partners in aligning to benchmarks
- Work to continuously enhance current processes and reporting to improve accuracy and efficiency
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed university degree, preferably within accounting, business, or finance
- Completion of CPA designation
- 3+ years of relevant Finance experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- Advanced Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint skills
- Strong analytical skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently with minimal supervision
- Self-starter who can identify opportunities for improvement and execute on them
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet firm deadlines
- Previous budgeting and / or expense analysis experience considered an asset
- Experience with Oracle Hyperion / Essbase and Spreadsheet Server tools considered an asset
- Insurance industry experience considered an asset
Salary range is $58,500 - $115,900.
Interested in this role, but don't meet every requirement? We encourage you to apply! We know from experience that a candidate doesn't need 100% of the qualifications listed to bring incredible value to our team. We're actively seeking diverse backgrounds and perspectives to help us make insurance better. At Definity, inclusion, diversity, and equity aren't just "nice to have" — they're essential to our success.
What's in it for you?
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate in various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
It's better here — but don't take our word for it. Definity was named by Great Place to Work® as one of the Best Workplaces™ in Canada for women, for youth, and for inclusion.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
This role requires successful clearance of background checks (including criminal checks and leadership references).