Digital Tech Lead
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7023
Category : Technology Solutions
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
The Technical Lead, Digital is a core member of the Digital team who is responsible for delivering Digital solutions and architectural enhancements. The successful candidate will be responsible for mentoring project team members, alignment with enterprise standards, developing and maintaining source code to design specifications, standards, and user requirements with necessary unit and system testing. With a view to building high quality application solutions, they question legacy design patterns and propose architectural changes aligned with current industry best-practices. Using an Agile mindset, they deliver solutions iteratively, ensuring business benefit is achieved in alignment with Enterprise Digital Strategy. As part of the Digital Platform team, drive maturity in solution conceptualization, design and delivery.
What can you expect in this role?
- Drive new ideas of tools, platforms, design and delivery
- Conduct design reviews and support architecture review activities
- Execute on enterprise standards and procedures as it may apply
- Unblock project and team level issues and impediments.
- Coach and Mentor junior members of the team
- Solid understanding of CI/CD pipeline and tooling required for automated build and deployment capabilities is must.
- Having Working knowledge of Infrastructure as code deployment model is asset.
Solution Design & Code Development
- Champion a customer focused culture to drive building strong customer focused engagement systems across multiple channels of engagements.
- Apply your development experience to deliver agile, continuously evolving frontend applications, platforms, microservices in cloud (Google Cloud, AWS)
- Apply Digital ecosystem knowledge from customer marketing, to customer analytics in architecture and design of systems of engagement
- Mentor and guide team members in adopting evolving technical skills, develop better applications and components, maintain and manage an agile devOps pipeline.
- Bring in a culture of agility, innovation and making it happen
- Troubleshoot technical challenges, problems to identify the root cause; help create point of views and present it back to stakeholders.
- Provide technical expert advice to stakeholders.
- Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment
- Willingness to learn, apply and share knowledge
- Collaborate with QE to define testing requirements, automate functional testing, support regression and performance testing
- Define detailed technical specifications in co-ordination with peer Business System Analysts
- Proactively identify technical debt and seek ways to enhance overall code performance recommending necessary refactoring needed to achieve target-state-architecture
Deployment, Maintenance & Support of Technology Solutions
- Develop technical designs that support proactive monitoring and maintenance
- Apply coding best practices and leverage custom Enterprise build and deployment framework
- Support Technical Delivery Manager in the identification of enterprise development environment risks and assist in the creation and configuration of environments as needed, to meet the requirements of the solution
- Verify solution documentation is complete, accurate, auditable, and traceable to business and/or system requirements
Agile Enterprise SDLC
- Collaborate with the Technical Delivery Manager (Scrum Master) and team to deliver on committed Sprint goals
- Collaborate with a peer Business System Analyst to develop the prioritized backlog support discovery associated with the same
- Collaborate with Release Management to align initiative delivery with the Enterprise Release cadence
What do you bring to the role?
- You have at least 5+ years of hardcore work experience as an Angular Developer
- You have at least 3+ years of hardcore work experience as a Ruby on Rails developer.
- You have at least 5+ years of leading a team as a technology lead.
- You have at least 5+ years of applying NodeJs for microservices
- Experience with ReactJs is an added advantage.
- You have experience working in a cloud environment, devOps pipeline, and Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- You have experience in applying various modern design principles, like, microservices, micro-frontend, Object Oriented Principles, but not limited to these.
- You are comfortable with different architecture style like event driven, request-response or fire-and-forget – ability to distinguish and apply the most appropriate architecture a given situation
- You have experience building scalable, enterprise level technology stacks with React as frontend and Java as backend but ideally with a broad set of tools
- You have experience in application architecture and API design
- You are proficient in building Microservices architecture and frontend architecture
- You have experience with Kubrnetes and Containers
- You have experience in developing security systems and analyzing the current systems for vulnerabilities.
- You have experience in version control and build tools, like Git, Bitbucket, Maven, branching strategies, agile ceremonies and putting everything together
- You have knowledge of a variety of frameworks (server side, infrastructure, browser side, desktop etc) as well as high aptitude for diving in and picking up new things
- You have well rounded knowledge of Agile principles and the flexibility to adapt your experience to new and evolving environments
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).