Team Leader, Billing Support
Job ID : 7030
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
This role is accountable for the delivery of superior service that will differentiate Economical with our broker partners, and occasionally directly to customers. Primarily, the Team Leader will provide guidance and coaching on a variety of work coming into the CAC through phone calls and emails. Team Leaders will require knowledge pertaining to all aspects of work in the CAC including billing, processes, and systems.
The Team Leader will help develop the capability of staff through coaching and feedback on strengths/opportunities for development. The Team Leader will coach team members on how to resolve issues on their own without escalation. They will also identify trends in issues being escalated and seek to develop process improvements to increase efficiency.
The Team Leader will also be involved in individual billing level decisions, within their authority level and defined decision framework, that will enable profitable growth and align with the strategic direction of Finance. Upon acknowledgement that a scenario requires further escalation, the Team Leader would proceed with referral to the appropriate team (Director), ensuring they have gathered all pertinent information, and have supported their referral with a well-documented business case, including their recommendation and proposed terms.
To drive efficiency in the Billing operations, Team Leader will develop skills in multiple facets of service such as billing and systems. Based on capacity and knowledge, the Team Leader will also guide their team when required to support other areas that are experiencing higher demands within the CAC.
What can you expect in this role?
- Performance and Coaching:
- Develops, coaches/mentors and manages the performance of Direct Reports, including identification of areas where performance improvement plans are needed to ensure achievement of business, functional and individual goals as well as performance against defined KPIs.
- This also includes the development of staff through the review, resolution, and discussion of escalated issues.
- KPI Management:
- Leverages reporting functionality to monitor team performance and overall achievement of Service Level Agreements. Ensure barriers to success are readily identified and solutioned.
- Quality Monitoring:
- Ensures quality of service provided by Team Members meets business objectives. The Team Leader will support the completion of spot checks for their direct reports to ensure quality targets are met. This will also enable the Team Leader to determine the appropriate decision-making authority for each team member.
- Engagement and Recognition:
- Supports employee recognition and engagement activities. Activities may include encouraging participation in annual engagement survey and executing targeted engagement plans.
- Continuous Improvement
- Identify and recommend continuous process improvement opportunities within your business unit.
- Service Escalation Handling and Broker Communications
- Receives and reviews escalated issues and applies appropriate tactics, knowledge, and billing authority to resolve. Examples may include providing rationale for declining a request. Post escalation advises brokers/insureds of outcome of inquiry or request. Uses superior customer service skills, including ability to de-escalate, guide and support brokers and third-party stakeholders.
What do you bring to the role?
- College Diploma, University Degree and/or CIP designation
- 5+ years experience in P&C industry
- Experience in a customer service resolution/escalation role
- Understanding of Billing products and a working knowledge of Guidewire policy and billing centre
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, time management, and problem solving skills
- Bilingual candidates with prior people leadership experience are encouraged to apply
Salary range is $64,400 - $118,500.
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).