Underwriting Assistant, Specialty Energy & Property
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7011
Category : Commercial Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Economical is part of Definity, which includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, Definity has grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- You’ll set up underwriting files for new and renewal business.
- You’ll enter and organize certificates of insurance, renewals, abeyances, letters of experience, quotes, binders, into the insurance systems and shared folders.
- You’ll enter data, coding off-system policies, endorsements, forms, and letters.
- You’ll enter data and extract reports to the NATCAT system
- You’ll code with accuracy into the policy administration system all new business renewals.
- You’ll issue new and renewal policies and mid-term endorsements.
- You’ll complete specific policy tasks - ordering loss runs, billing inquiries.
- You’ll keep electronic files updated, supporting the underwriters.
- You’ll will assist other departments when required during vacation periods.
- You’ll also help out with general office and other duties as required.
What do you bring to the role?
- Completed high school diploma and relevant work experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in an underwriting support role.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary degree or diploma or willingness to complete a CIP designation.
- Strong computer skills. Previous experience in working in case management tools, portals or databases will be an asset.
- Bilingual, written and spoken (French and English) will be considered an asset
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).