This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID : 7003
Category : Finance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Waterloo, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to the Director, Tax, the Tax Analyst is a key member of the finance team. The incumbent will join an exciting tight nit tax team and is jointly accountable for providing tax compliance and tax provisions services to Defnity. This will include working to support in both the income and indirect areas. The Taxation Analyst will be expected to self-review the work they perform, and prepare for reasonability, accuracy and completeness. This role will also have cross functional collaboration between financial accounting, financial reporting and other areas of the business and will have opportunities for challenging interesting work ask Definity continues to grow.. The Taxation Analyst should demonstrate a natural curiosity about the business as they develop their knowledge of the business and taxation activities. This role is also eligible for admission to Definity’s CPA pre-approved program, allowing the CPA candidate to acquire practical work experience and/or financial support as they work toward achieving their designation.
What can you expect in this role?
- Being a key part of a technically strong and supportive finance team in a dynamic and growing public company with a collaborative and inclusive culture
- Tax Compliance
- Assist with the preparation and filing of income tax, indirect tax and sales tax returns as well as elections and information returns
- Prepare and file all provincial premium tax returns
- Assist with withholding tax calculations and filings
- Assist in the preparation of income tax and indirect tax provisions and tax account reconciliations
- Coordinate with the finance team and other areas of the business to obtain tax compliance information
- Special Projects & Ad hoc Reporting
- Work with other team members to research and document technical issues
- Participate in tax process improvement projects
- Assist in gathering information and drafting responses to the tax authorities' Audit queries
- Assist in the preparation of industry surveys
- Tax Team Support
- Calculate and prepare all income tax, sales tax and premium tax instalments
- Manage tax authority notices/assessments
- Assist in monitoring Canadian tax policies and interpret tax laws and regulations
- Provide support to the business around tax related queries and self-assessment
What do you bring to this role?
- University or college degree in business, finance or a related program
- At least 2-3 years of progressive experience in accounting and/or tax
- Previous experience working for or servicing an insurance company/financial institution would be an asset
- Indirect tax experience would be an asset
- CPA designation or pursuing a CPA designation is desirable
- Completion of CICA In depth level I and II would be an asset
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Familiar with tax research software, Oracle, or Taxprep
- Great team player who is also able to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication Skills
Salary range is $50,900 - $100,200
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).