Data Specialist ,Personal Insurance
Job ID : 6997
Category : Personal Insurance
Brand : Definity
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Fulltime/Parttime : Full Time
Location : Toronto, Canada
Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Reporting to Manager, Analytics, Data & Innovation, the Data Engineer will work closely with a team of Data Scientists and Actuaries supporting the objectives of the team. The Data Engineer is responsible for designing and providing robust data solutions in collaboration with various internal & external stakeholders. The daily responsibilities of this role includes significant collaboration and interactions with both the Business as Usual and Research & Development arms of the team as well as members of the Pricing & Underwriting teams.
The Data Engineer leverages past work experience in data engineering to lead the technical design and execution of both new initiatives and recurrent processes surrounding data solutions. The team member guides the creation of stakeholder-facing deliverables to explain insights to business stakeholders and deliver a high-quality business solution.
What can you expect in this role?
- Design and execute innovative and robust data solutions in collaboration with internal stakeholders to support team objectives. Areas of responsibilities include data architecture & infrastructure, scheduled data retrievals, data processing, scalability, dealing with various internal and external data under both Big Data and traditional data platforms. Work alongside Data Scientists in the Research & Development arm to develop sophisticated improvements to data solution needs.
- Design, execution and maintenance of central data repository for MP&A and Pricing needs, including scheduled recurrent team processes to refresh datasets and conduct data analyses. Ensure quality and timely delivery of data solutions supporting BAU needs.
- Conduct preliminary analyses on data involving basic statistical approaches and provide solutions to treat various data deficiencies to support data integrity.
- Provide coaching, onboarding and ah hoc support to various stakeholders for data solution needs, including internal stakeholders in MP&A as well as stakeholders in Pricing & Product/Underwriting teams.
- Lead and conduct industry, demographic, and other consumer research to understand new data sources and applications of analytics.
- Focus on innovation and process improvement to promote leading practice and efficiency across the organization.
- Develop and uphold appropriate data-solutions governance and operating model with stakeholders, including providing department-wide training.
What do you bring to the role?
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, software engineering or a related discipline.
- 3- 5 years of experience working with Big Data framework, including Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Pig, Hive, Impala. In-depth understanding of relational and non-relational database concepts.
- Extensive experience working data processing and data manipulation in SQL/SAS/R/Python/Java/Hive/Impala or similar with 3-5 years of professional experience working in a relevant role.
- Insurance industry knowledge and strong business acumen is an asset.
- Must be able to work collaboratively within a team and be able to lead projects and coach junior staff.
- Strong communication (oral/written) and organizational skills.
- Ability to guide and coach more junior team members through technical project work and deliverable creation.
Salary range is $68,100 - $136,200
Actual salary for the role may vary depending on work location of the successful candidate and other factors including but not limited to, skills, education, experience, working conditions and the local labour market. In addition to base pay, eligible employees may participate various incentive plans which are paid out at the discretion of the company and subject to individual and company performance.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).